Want to know 8 ways to piss off journalists?
According to Abbi Whitaker at Ragan’s PR Daily:
- Blast mass emails
- Send the same Twitter @ reply to 30 people
- Mail big press kits
- “Just following up” (I’m guilty here!)
- Leaving phone messages, believe it or not — Whitaker says after the first five, journalists tune out
- Adding them to your newsletter
- “Friending” them on Facebook
- Send “off-topic” pitches
Now some of these are pretty obvious but I don’t know about you, I’ve done some of these things. And the scary part is, I’m a journalist, too! But once again, think, is this really worth it? Or am I just wasting their time? Guaranteed, you send things they can use, they might not invite you for coffee but you will have a receptive ear next time.