The impetus toward forming this organization arose at an informal meeting in Stamford’s Midtown Club on July 8, 1959. The meeting was called by Dean Brossman, Executive Vice President of the Stamford-Greenwich Management Council. The Council sought the cooperation and assistance of local public relations professionals to attain its goals.

James Ford, Public Relations Director for Consolidated Diesel Electric Corp., was the first Chairman.

In 1961, the original bylaws said that there would be no regular dues, but that a member would contribute $1 at each of the monthly meetings to cover administrative and mailing expenses. In 1966, this cost was assessed as an annual $10 fee.

The Management Council merged with the Stamford Chamber of Commerce and the Urban Affairs Council in 1970 to form the Stamford Area Commerce and Industry Association (SACIA). This merger resulted in changing the organization’s name to The Public Relations Group, an affiliate of SACIA.

It was decided in February of 1971 to reorganize as an independent professional group and to adopt the name Fairfield County Public Relations Association (FCPRA). The new constitution specified that the association was open to any person engaged in public relations in Fairfield County on a professional basis or to any resident so engaged elsewhere. Dues were raised to $20 annually.

The association was chartered as a nonstock domestic corporation under the laws of The State of Connecticut on April 15, 1975.

In the 1970s and 1980s, association Presidents included many leading public relations professionals for area corporations and institutions. Among those who served and are still members at the turn of the millennium are: Bill Askin of Texas gulf, Helen Ryba Baum of Union Trust, Tom Failla of AMAX Inc. and Union Carbide, Murray Farber of Fairfield University, Mike Hughes of Hughes Marketing Communications, Bruce Hutchison of Norwalk and St. Vincent’s Hospitials, Ian Kerr of Emmanuel, Kerr, Kilsby, Inc. and Jane Lazgin of The Perrier Group.